thinking...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

U2 3D

We saw U2 3D last night. It was actually quite awesome, surprisingly it didn’t reek of “U2 Cash-in” like many of their other recent projects do. The setlist was a bit weak, which featured some of their newer stuff and a few classics you would expect to hear at any U2 show. There were certainly instances where I kept imagining how awesome this 3D/sensory overload idea would have been if it had been done on their ZooTV or Popmart tours.

I had always considered the whole 3D concept kind of gimmicky- but after last night I just realized that I’d never seen it done properly. The atmosphere achieved nearly everything you would expect from a U2 show. Even with the U2 fans sitting in the theatre, you could hear people singing along and clapping to the beat. Creepy moment of the night goes to the lady sitting in front of me, she was literally reaching out into the screen to touch Bono’s hand. I think at that moment the U2 hardcore in attendance collectively cringed.