thinking...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I've got two days off starting tomorrow. :)

I’ve started playing through Grand Theft Auto 4 and at this point I’m pretty much blown away. In fact this iteration has taken everything that the franchise has done well and turned up the dial a few notches. I’ve only scratched the surface in the single player mode and already I feel this game will undoubtedly be my game of the year, and I haven’t even touched the multiplayer mode yet. The release of GTA4 has transcended any other game release ever, as of right now it is the most highly reviewed game across the vast internets. If you can believe it, all of the best gaming websites all scored the game a perfect ten.

It’s the little things I’ve been noticing that make the experience so unique. The main character is Eastern European, and interacts with various Russians in the beginning of the game. During these sequences many people actually speak Russian and their behavior nearly identical to people I’ve met in Russia and my family over there. There are instances where I can pick up basic Russian words and phrases, and the Russian pop radio channel is spot on. Rockstar nailed it- no question.

At work, co-workers are all sharing their experiences with the game. No matter whom I’m talking with they already have some crazy story even after one night since release. I should take a picture of my Xbox Live friends list, its unreal how many people already have the game. Now I fully understand why Electronic Arts was so aggressive to acquire Take Two before the release of GTA, it will probably go down as the greatest console video game of all time.