thinking...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Building a Deck!

As summer begins to ramp up we’ve decided to spend our tax return making an addition to our house. We initially talked about hiring someone to pour another concrete slab in next to the current one in our backyard. After calling a few contractors I quickly learned this was going to be more difficult and expensive than I imagined. I began researching my alternatives and learned that building my own deck may be a fun, cost-effective, way of improving the atmosphere in our backyard.

After about four days of researching, measuring, moving rock, cutting and leveling, my deck is nearing completion. In fact all that remains are a couple of side panels, minor sanding and building a tiny set of stairs. Overall I think it’s turning out well, but in the beginning I was very nervous as I’ve never tackled a project this big by myself.




The foundation of the deck, and the size of the current slab.


My assistant and lead digger!




With the planking added it goes a long way!


Good job Daddy! We’re almost done! Now I just need some stairs.

The Budget:
Dek-Blocks $70
Foundation Wood $170
Trex Composite Weather Treated Decking $1100
Hardware Screws Nails etc. $50
Total: $1390.00