thinking...

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Indy?



Alright, so this morning I'm checking the news, trying to see if Wade Phillips got canned after the Cowboys monumental collapse. I usually hit up ESPN.com first, as they tend to break these sorts of things, or at the very least speculate on such topics. As I click into the NFL section I’m welcomed with the motherload of ads for the new film: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I quickly clicked on the Indy ad and was taken to the website of this new feature film. The advertisement revealed a drawing of Indy how we remember him in the 80’s- young and fit with brown hair. Once the website loaded I was greeted by pictures of Harrison Ford as modern day Indy, grey hair and certainly much older looking. It was jarring at first, I felt myself reverting into “Star Wars Prequel Mode” bracing, waiting for my childhood to be raped again.

Now hold on a second, sure he’s old, he’s grey, but he still looks fairly rugged. This just might actually work. This will hopefully be structured similar to “The Last Crusade” where Indy assumes a more adult Dr. Jones (parallel to the role Sean Connery played). They need to ensure that there isn’t an ounce of CGI in this film, and tell an entirely new story. Also, the creative staff must try hard to be inventive and not rely too heavily on previous films or jokes; after all we don’t need a remake. The new Indy might also benefit from something shocking at the end, like tease the death of Indiana Jones.

Coming out May 22nd, that’s soon!